Monday, October 8, 2012

Trajal Harrell


The ideas behind The performance by Trajal Harrell that I saw on monday night are far from simple. The couple that can be found are "What would have happened in 1963 if someone from the voguing ball scene in Harlem had come downtown to perform alongside the early postmoderns at Judson Church?" and "Can a Greek Tragedy such as 'Antigone' be done by voguing?". Because I have little background knowledge in voguing, postmodern dance, or Greek tragedy, it is hard for me to discuss the ideas behind the performance.

What I can take from this experience is the way in with Trajal experiments with different dance media to convey a story. As an Illustrator, I am constantly surrounded by competition, and it is important to be innovative and creative. People will always be looking for "the next big thing" and simply doing what you've done before won't cut it. The experimental nature of the performance was the aspect that captured me the most.

Although it was hard to understand with no background knowledge of the tragedy of Antigone, it is also possible that because I did not see or read about Trajal's other performances in the series (Large, Ex Large etc.). They were talked about as more elaborate than the one I watched in St. Marks' Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment